Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wilkes 1800-1850

The Wilkes family 1800-1850




So, I had discovered that Elsie Wilkes' father was John Thomas Wilkes and that his father was Samuel Wilkes (b1852). I found that Samuel Wilkes' parents were Samuel Wilkes and Jane Wilkes (nee Cox) as I was able to get his birth certificate. I was then able to follow this family by getting their marriage certificates and census records.



Samuel Wilkes

Samuel Wilkes was born in about 1829 in West Bromwich and married Jane Cox on Monday, 17th July 1848. They had at least 11 children although not all survived. His father according to his marriage certificate was a Joseph Wilkes, miner, and Samuel was also a miner. Jane Cox’s father was John Cox a miner, and all lived in Tipton.


I won't put all the census images for Samuel and his father Joseph on here, but here is the earliest census return for Joseph Wilkes in 1841:


No comments: