Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Green Family of Shropshire

See this post for an update to this research and the family tree.

Thomas Green is my father's maternal grandfather. He was the husband of Mary Jane Phipps and the father of my grandmother - Mary Jane Green. I knew very little about this family before starting my research. All I had to go on was a report by a genealogist who was employed to find some of my dad's cousins on this side of the family who were entitled to a small inheritance. The genealogist told me that Thomas Green was married to Mary Jane Phipps and also gave me the names of the their children. Apparently, Thomas was married once before he married Mary Jane and had a child, Elizabeth Ann.




From this information, I got the marriage certificate of Thomas and Mary Jane which showed that Thomas' father was also called Thomas. I was able to find Thomas Green in the 1901 census living with his family at Watling St. Brownhills, working as a coal miner.

In the 1891 censuses, Thomas Green is living with his mother Margaret, still at Watling Street. His daughter Elizabeth is staying with a neighbouring family. Thomas Green is a coal miner. However, Thomas Green was born in Wellington, Shropshire.

Just from this information, I was then able to use the census material online and the IGI to compile the above tree. What I want to convey from this post is that while this looks very exciting, I would still hessitate to claim it as definitively 100% accurate - I would want to access more records to affirm what I've found. Some of these relationships were found using "members entries" to the IGI, which are particularly notorious for transciption errors.

Nevertheless, I have not claimed any links just based on the fact that the IGI came up with "the right name in roughly the right place" - in fact, I have been very careful to ensure that the entries are unique to the individuals involved. I was helped with this because William and Thomas Green lived in the same place (Smalley Hill, Little Wenlock) for about 70 years.

Before starting on this branch of my family, I had very little knowledge of them. By constructing the family from censuses and the IGI, I still feel as if I have very little knowledge of them, even though I know a few occupations and where they lived. This is quite a good example of where census and IGI records give you a basic idea of the family tree, but to really find out interesting information it is necessary to access all available records, especially those located in record offices. Hopefully, one day I will get the time to do some research in Shrewsbury.

This is some information on some of the other parishes mentioned in the tree:
Little Wenlock
Wellington
Dawley Magna
Buildwas
Cound
Hughley
Kenley

No comments: